Review of the new aromatic collection from Super Facialist Neroli Firming Collection by Una Brennan – Neroli Firming Day Cream, Night Cream, Intense Serum and Brightening Cleanser.
“Targets the first signs of ageing while firming and plumping for younger, smoother skin.”
Super Facialist is a range of affordable skincare which was originally designed by celebrity facialist Una Brennan in 2012. The range is based on delicious smelling plant extracts and it’s oil double cleanse products have become a cult classic. They are based in the UK and are cruelty free, and so thumbs up to that! I have the Neroli Firming collection to review, which is particularly suited to those looking for anti-ageing staples.
First of all let me say, I’m a real skincare nerd. I have pH paper in my bathroom. I moderate a skincare chatroom. I think about skincare 24 hours a day, I dream about it. So I was very excited to try a totally new brand to me, especially one that is so readily available in the UK.
Super Facialist Neroli Firming Daily Skin Brightening Cleanser
The ingredients go like this: Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Sodium cocoamphoacetate, Coco-glucoside, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, Sodium chloride, Mangifera indica (Mango) seed oil, Citrus aurantium dulcis (Sweet orange) peel oil, Citrus aurantium amara (Bitter orange) oil, Citrus limon (Lemon) peel oil, Lavandula hybrida (Lavandin) oil, Litsea cubeba oil, Canarium luzonicum (Elemi) gum nonvolatiles, Cananga odorata (Ylang ylang) flower oil, Pullulan, Sodium hyaluronate, Sodium hydroxide, Hibiscus sabdariffa (Hibiscus) flower extract, Methylisothiazolinone, Potassium sorbate, Sodium benzoate, Citric acid, Limonene, Linalool.
It’s foaming agents are very gentle, there are no drying Sulphates to ruin the skin’s moisture barrier. I would never use a Sulphate based cleanser, they dry my skin and worsen my acne. So I was particularly pleased with this ingredient list. Neroli Daily Brightening Cleanser by Super Facialist also contains numerous plant extracts. While these fruit extracts like Lemon peel oil may contain antioxidants and smell great, they may cause issues with people with particularly sensitive skin. I checked the pH and it’s a skin pleasing balanced 5.5 according to my pH paper.
The Neroli Daily Brightening Cleanser has a gentle foaming action which cleanses my skin really nicely. Also it smells really lovely of flowers and oranges. My skin is fine with this sweet smelling cleanser, but be careful if you suffer from sensitivity.
Super Facialist Neroli Firming Intense Facial Serum
This is £16.99 for 30mls and here is the ingredients list:
- Ingredients – Aqua (Water), Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Dimethicone, Dipropylene glycol, Polyacrylate-13, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Polyisobutene, Citrus aurantium dulcis (Sweet orange) peel oil, Citrus aurantium amara (Bitter orange) oil, Citrus limon (Lemon) peel oil, Lavandula hybrida (Lavandin) oil, Litsea cubeba oil, Canarium luzonicum (Elemi) gum nonvolatiles, Cananga odorata (Ylang ylang) flower oil, Potassium sorbate, Sodium benzoate, Butylene glycol, Polysorbate 20, Disodium EDTA, Sorbitan isostearate, Malus domestica fruit cell culture, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sodium hyaluronate, Biosaccharide gum-1, Xanthan gum, Hibiscus sabdariffa (Hibiscus) flower extract, Lecithin, Tetrapeptide-21, Citral, Farnesol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool.
Super Facialist Neroli Firming Intense Facial Serum comes boxed and in a tube with a narrow nib for dispensing small amounts. It contains silicone which gives it a lovely silky feel which I think makes a great makeup primer as it really smoothed the skin. Like the cleanser it smells amazing and from the ingredients you can see that there are several tasty sounding plant extracts, but again these may upset skin if you’re sensitive to them.
- Neroli Intense Facial Serum has a few active anti aging ingredients: Tetrapeptide 21 – Snappily named Tetrpeptide 21 is a molecule which signals to the skin to produce more collagen. It has been proven to increase skin elasticity and helps slow down ageing. It has even outperformed Matrixyl in some studies.
- Sodium Hyaluronate – In the skin Sodium Hyaluronate becomes Hyaluronic Acid, this draws water and increases skin hydration.
- Biosaccharide Gum-1 – A moisturising and soothing plant extract.
- Malus domestica fruit cell culture – Stem cells from a special long lasting Swedish apple. It sounds fanciful but these stem cells, derived from an apple which doesn’t go bad, may actually be able to slow down ageing.
The ingredients sound promising and the Neroli Intense Facial Serum feels and smells lovely. Just be careful if you’re sensitive to plant extracts.
Super Facialist Neroli Firming Super Lift Day Cream
Another nose pleaser! Neroli Firming Super Lift Day Cream is £16.99 for 50mls and comes in a boxed jar. The packaging is really nice, but because it comes in a jar it won’t last a long time after opening.
- Ingredients- Aqua (Water), Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, Cyclopentasiloxane, C12-15 Alkyl benzoate, Octocrylene, Glycerin, Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, Polyacrylate-13, Pentaerythrityl distearate, Butyrospermum parkii (Shea butter), Phenoxyethanol, Polyisobutene, Citrus aurantium dulcis (Sweet orange) peel oil, Citrus aurantium amara (Bitter orange) oil, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium stearoyl glutamate, Butylene glycol, Benzoic acid, Polysorbate 20, Dehydroacetic acid, Sorbitan isostearate, Disodium EDTA, Sodium hyaluronate, Malus domestica fruit cell culture, Glyceryl acrylate/acrylic acid copolymer, Hibiscus sabdariffa (Hibiscus) flower extract, Xanthan gum, BHT, Tetrapeptide-21, Potassium sorbate, Sodium benzoate, Lecithin, Citral, Farnesol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool.
Neroli Firming Super Lift Day Cream has UV Protection factors high up in the list. It also contains the plant extracts and active anti-ageing ingredients that are also in the serum. The ever living apple stem cells are in there, hence the Super Lifting abilities and there is also Shea Butter, which is a natural ingredient known for skin moisturising abilities. Shea Butter contains essential fatty acids for the skin and vitamins, and has natural sun protection.
The Super Lift Day Cream is moisturising and easily absorbed. You may well want to top up your sun protection if you’re going to be outside in the day. However, this is a pleasant cream for those with normal or dry skin (and for those who enjoy the fresh smell of Neroli).
Super Facialist Neroli Firming Super Lift Night Cream
The Night Cream costs £16.99 for 50mls. The packaging of the night cream is almost identical to the day cream, although you can tell them apart because the night cream is much richer in texture (and because it says night cream on the jar!).
- Ingredients – Aqua (Water), Cetearyl ethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Prunus amygdalus dulcis (Sweet almond) oil, Cetearyl alcohol, Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polyacrylate-13, Phenoxyethanol, Cetearyl glucoside, Polyisobutene, Citrus aurantium dulcis (Sweet orange) peel oil, Citrus aurantium amara (Bitter orange) oil, Citrus limon (Lemon) peel oil, Lavandula hybrida (Lavandin) oil, Litsea cubeba oil, Canarium luzonicum (Elemi) gum nonvolatiles, Cananga odorata (Ylang ylang) flower oil, Butylene glycol, Benzoic acid, Disodium EDTA, Polysorbate 20, Dehydroacetic acid, Sorbitan isostearate, Sodium hyaluronate, Malus domestica fruit cell culture, Hibiscus sabdariffa (Hibiscus) flower extract, Xanthan gum, Tetrapeptide-21, Lecithin, Potassium sorbate, Sodium benzoate, Citral, Farnesol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool.
The Super Facialist Neroli Super Lift Night Cream contains the Apple stem cells, Tetrapeptide-21, Sodium Hyaluronate and fragrant plant oils. There’s are also some lovely rich moisturisers – Sweet Almond Oil, Triglycerides and Glycerin.
The Super Lift Night Cream feels very rich and nourishing. I’ve particularly enjoyed using it to massage into my neck and breathing in the amazing Neroli fragrance.
It’s hard to say whether Super Facialist products have made any real change in my skin condition. The actives would certainly need longer than a few weeks before they made a visual impression., however I really have enjoyed being able to try them out, and the Neroli range definitely makes a great mid-range priced collection.
Thank you Super Facialist for sending me the Neroli Firming products to try. It’s a lovely fragrant addition to my skincare collection and a great buy for those looking for firming moisturising products. Available from Boots.com
For more skincare check out my site NiaPattenLooks